Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hosed in HORSE

I play in a bunch of tournaments that some of us player set up as a "team competition." I usually end up playing a No Limit Hold 'Em tournament on Sundays because it fits my schedule best. This week, my teammate who was supposed to play the HORSE tournament couldn't make it, so I needed to play both at the same time.

A HORSE tournament involves playing five different types of poker during the course of the tournament, none of which I am very good at. However, I know the basic rules, so I figured I'd be able to at least fake it for a bit.

About 20 minutes into the tournaments, I've already been knocked out in 5th from my usual tournament, but I'm in first place in the HORSE tourney. WTF?!?!? I barely know if I'm bluffing or not at times when I'm betting, and I'm winning?

Anyways, I get down to the money bubble (4 people left, 3 people get paid), and I get a few unlucky breaks - I lose a hand where I was ahead for most of the way, a guy who is about to get knocked out hits a miracle card to stay alive, etc. Eventually the game rotates around to Limit Hold 'Em, and I get dealt pocket queens. With a shortstack, I know I've got to get my money in now no matter what. And, my terrible luck streak took it from there:

Hero (CO): t1550 M = 3.44
BTN: t5290 M = 11.76
SB: t2230 M = 4.96
BB: t2930 M = 6.51

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is CO with Qh Qd
Hero raises, 1 fold, SB calls, 1 fold
Flop: (5 SB) 9d 3s 9h (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB caps!, Hero calls all in
Turn: (5.667 BB) 7h (2 players - 1 is all in)
River: (5.667 BB) 2d (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: 5.667 BB
Hero shows Qh Qd (two pair, Queens and Nines)
SB shows 7c 7d (a full house, Sevens full of Nines)
SB wins 5.667 BB

Pre-flop, I'm about an 80% favorite to win this hand. After the flop, I'm greater than a 90% favorite. Still not strong enough for me, I guess. I'm impressed by my 4th place showing in the HORSE tourney, but I'm still very disappointed with the outcome of that last hand.

No comments: