Thursday, October 21, 2010

Brain Fart

I like to think I'm a pretty good poker player. I usually make pretty good decisions when I'm playing, and I try my best to be aggressive without overdoing it.

Then, sometimes, I'm just plain stupid.

Full Tilt Poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/992959
The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG+2: $2.34
MP1: $6.11
MP2: $1.98
CO: $4.88
BTN: $5.00
Hero (SB): $5.37
BB: $5.00
UTG: $4.55
UTG+1: $4.47

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with Tc Td
2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $0.15, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.42, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $0.27

Flop: ($0.89) 3d 4h Jc (2 players)
Hero bets $0.60, UTG+2 calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.09) 3h (2 players)
Hero bets $4.35 all in, UTG+2 calls $1.32 all in

River: ($4.73) Ks (2 players - 2 are all in)

Yeah, that's me... putting a guy with top set all in. That's also me, 3-betting pre and getting it in while behind from the very start. The thing is, shoving the turn isn't even a good play if my opponent has AK (which is very possible up until he calls my turn shove). I'm ahead of AK on the turn; I should be checking and letting him think I'm weak and try to take the pot away with a bet. Shoving only gets hands I beat to fold, and hands that are ahead (like a boat) to call.

I think.

I started a thread about this on FTP just to confirm, but I'm pretty sure I was good up until my turn shove. Who knows... maybe I'm just better off as a cash game hobbyist and a tournament player. I cannot wait until these bonuses are done with, and I can attack some tourneys with a proper bankroll.

EDIT: I just noticed however many days later that I didn't post the results to the hand! My opponent had JJ (but I kinda explained that already.... whateva!)

No comments: