Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Luckbox

(Note: I have not had a chance to watch the last episodes of ESPN's World Series of Poker Main Event, so don't spoil it for me in the e-mail)

I know the game of poker involves luck, but sometimes I just get annoyed at how lucky some people are in poker. I wonder if I were as lucky as them, how good could I be?

Specifically... I hate Fillipo Candio.

I've watched most of the WSOP ME - the episodes that didn't get cut off by my DVR. Most of what I've seen from Candio's play is him making terribly bad calls, overaggressive raises, and pulling some lucky bad beat out of his ass to stay in the tournament.

The hand that pisses me off the most was from one of the more recent episodes, deep in the WSOP ME. Candio raises from early position with 7s5s... not bad if he's looking for a blind steal. He gets re-raised big by the chip leader Joseph Cheong, and he calls with his baby suited connectors.

Let's stop here. A call? Really? I'd be happier with a shove here. But calling is just disgusting. He needs a specific flop to be happy, and his fold equity is not very good up against the tournamnet chip leader.

Moving on... the flop is 6-6-5. Candio bets out and the Cheong raises enough to put Candio all-in. Candio thinks... and calls off all of his chips.

Stop again. WTF??? How does he think he's good here? Maybe Cheong is making a move with AK here, but doubtful. He doesn't really need to. Best case scenario, Candio is about a 70/30 to win, but still needs to dodge cards and if Cheong hits an A or K Candio is gone. Worst case scenario, Candio is pretty much already gone. I can understand shoving this flop to use whatever fold equity you have, but calling off all your chips here is downright nuts.

Cheong has AA, and Candio is less that 15% to win the hand. Now here's the part that pissed me off the most:

Candio hits runner runner for a stratight.

So, because he played the hand so badly and made the worst mosves possible, he is rewarded with the chip lead.

This is what makes poker so maddening, but it also makes poker great. If the best players always won, there would be no hope for the lesser skilled players. Everyone always has a shot to win, even the people - like Candio - who play terribly.

No comments: